Over the past 30 years, the number of overweight children has doubled. Overweight and obesity in childhood are almost a guarantee of obesity in adulthood. But obesity is not only an additional weight, but many health problems. Liver disease, heart disease, cancer, vascular disease, sleep disorders, orthopedic problems and hypercholesterolemia. How to avoid such a development of events?
The first step to solve the problem is diagnosis. Recognizing that your child is obese is the first step in a positive direction. The next step is to come to terms with the fact that the whole family needs treatment. Consider a comprehensive program including diet, exercise, behavior modification, supplementation and possible pharmacological agents.
Is it possible to prevent childhood obesity?
The younger the child, the easier it is to cope with the problem of obesity. That is why it is so important to diagnose the problem early. There are a few rules that should be used to prevent obesity from becoming a problem.
- The whole family should have the same menu. It is unacceptable when parents eat fries and hamburgers, and a healthy and dietary meal is proposed for the child.
- Shop with your child to learn how to choose healthy products consciously. Of course, learn in advance which products and why they are beneficial, and which products and why should be avoided.
- Meals should be eaten regularly, at regular times, preferably together with family, at the table and in peace.
- Do not treat food, especially sweets, as a reward or as an argument in negotiations.
- Do not force to eat.
- Give your child the opportunity to choose the dish they want to eat. However, it should be a choice of up to two suggestions for healthy meals. The question “what do you want?” Is unacceptable.
- It is important to limit the time spent in front of the TV or for video and computer games. In return, plan to spend time together in the open air.
An obese child needs support and help
An obese child feels bad among his peers. Family support is very important. Parents should take seriously the problem of excessive body weight of the child, while avoiding negative comments, criticism or ridiculing the child. It is important to highlight all the successes of the child, not only regarding the fight against overweight, but also from any other field. It is up to the parents to prepare the child for the fact that the weight loss process is long and requires patience. Such support is necessary for the child to achieve success in weight loss.
In addition to a properly balanced diet and family support, it is important to ensure physical activity. Through physical exercise, we can influence the metabolism of fat, bone, nervous system, circulatory, respiratory, muscular, hormonal levels, blood composition, and even the psychic sphere. Properly selected physical training is an integral part of an effective weight loss program.